When your business depends on scheduling, it’s not always a good idea to not have a disaster recovery plan for your calendaring data. Google Calendar doesn’t currently offer a “time machine” or automated backups of your data.
However, OggSync for Outlook can help you in this situation. If you are an OggSync customer, you can use OggSync for Outlook to provide a manual or automatic scheduled backup to your Google calendar. Set up as follows:
- Install either Outlook 2003 or Outlook 2007 on your backup PC
- Install OggSync for Outlook
- Create a GMail or Google Apps for your Domain backup account
- Share all your calendars that you wish backed up with this account
- Connect OggSync for Outlook to your GMail or Google Apps for your Domain backup account
- Set the maximum sync range
- Set Automatic Sync Mode
- Install the Microsoft Outlook Personal Folders Backup Tool for Outlook and schedule daily backups
- Follow the instructions for using the tool.
In general, it will be a good practice to perform a sync, then save the backup at the frequency you are comfortable with.
This will get you into the game with a manual backup process, however, if you wish to take it a step further, you can also look at steps to automate the Outlook backup, however we haven’t done this ourselves yet. Combine the automated Outlook backup, with OggSync’s Automatic Sync, and you have a solution that can backup and restore your Google calendars.